Friday, May 27, 2011

Doing a Little Twisting

I'm ready for this weekend...the pool opens which mean, kids are outside and I have inside time with my machine!! WHOO HOO!!


Have you seen this notion:

Well, I decide to try it out and make a example of the technique for the shop.  Let me say I was very impressed!

All you do is sew 5" charms together, add a 3" border around your charms:
Then, you take the little square using the lines and match up to the seam lines on your "sudo" top:
And cut out all the squares:

Resew the new squares in the same order and you get the tessellating effect:

Finished top:

I think using Kaffe Fasset fabric doesn't have a good design element for this project because they are small.  I think fabric with more solid colors - verses multi-color will show the pinwheels.

Now I just followed the pattern that came with the notion, but you can easily make this larger and make a baby size quilt. They also have a larger Twister avaiable for layer cakes - which I'm considering purchasing.

I'm planning a project with this new technique in mind and can't wait to share it!

14 comments:

  1. I bought the lil' and large together (cheaper) and everyone is having a ball with it. We first tried the mini runners to be sure we had technique down and now doing full and queen size quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute is that! Your shop is lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never knew exactly how that tool works but now, thanks to you, I do. Just might have to add that to my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have both sizes....but I should blow the dust off of them. They haven't touched fabric yet.
    I actually like how the sample with the Kaffe Fasset fabric turned out. It has an artsy look that I like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the twister look -- have tool, will make one some day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the finished Twister! I do see what you mean about how more solid or solid-like fabrics might show off the pinwheels better though.

    If you would rather not look at it any more, feel free to toss it to me! lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have the Lil Twister and love the effect it gives. Can you tell me what size the top will end up if I used a 6x4 layout with the 3" border, just as you did? I can't seem to get my head round that and would like to know before I start. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute! I am going to try this technique soon with my mom and sister. I bought the Twister ruler, so cut 10" batik square.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooo... that's a pretty cool little gadget. I love the tessellating effect, though I think you're right that the Kaffe fabrics don't showcase it as well as other fabrics might. I like Jean's idea about using batiks... how pretty that would be!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have seen these quilts and wondered how they made them. Thanks for showing how it works.

    ReplyDelete
  11. that is awesome! I think one of my NOVA Modern girls used this technique: http://www.flickr.com/photos/threadedmess/5756623454/in/photostream

    I'm going to have to pick this tool up! I love that you can cut simple things up and sew them back together to get something that looks so much more complex!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the lil twister! Such a simple little tool and it makes a stunning top.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just made one of these and loved it...fun project. Yours turned out great...very modern looking!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How do you cut around the square template and not go past the end with the rotary cutter? That seems like it would be impossible to do.

    ReplyDelete