Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Turkey Week, Day 2

Have you done your shopping for the big day?  I dread the shopping part, though I do try to accomplish all that the weekend before.  What are you plans?  Are you cooking or visiting family/friends?

This is our first year living in Tennessee and we are visiting family for the feast, though I am bringing 3 of our family's favorite traditions.  Here is the second recipe that we do yearly at this time and for Christmas as well.

Broccoli Cheese Casserole
Passed from Kevin's grandma, mom, to me.  I have made slight adjusts and this is always a hit. 
  • 2 - 10 oz. packages of chopped broccoli
  • 1 can of cream of mushroom soup
  • 1 small can of drained mushrooms (I love mushrooms)
  • 1 cup of mayonnaise
  • 1  1/2 cup of grated sharp cheese (I use extra sharp)
  • 2 tablespoons of dehydrated dry onions or one small chopped onion
  • 2 two beaten eggs
  • 2 - 3 cups Cheez-its.
  • salt and pepper to taste

Cook broccoli 10 minutes and drain well.  While the broccoli is cooking take 1  1/2 cups of Cheez-its and put into a ziploc bag and crush.   Mix 1/2 cup of the crushed Cheez-it's and 1/4 cup of cheese and put to the side (this I use for the topping).  Mix remaining in ingredients, except the un-crushed Cheez-its.  If it seems a little be dry or stiff I'll add a little bit more mayonnaise.  Pour into casserole dish, I use a 9 x 13 pan.  Sprinkle crushed Cheez-its/Cheese mixture on top, then using non-crushed Cheez-its, decorate top and sides of casserole.  Cover casserole with aluminum foil.  Bake at 375 degrees for 35 minutes.  Uncover and bake an additional 10 minutes. 


Again, I can't find an image with the Cheez-its looking pretty on top - and I get more comments on how it looks this way :)  I'll take a picture of mine this year to share.


Grateful Thought:  Spending the holidays with family has new meaning now.  Again with this year of changes and growth finding a place among family is very important and I'm grateful my kids and I can enjoy these new and improved relationships.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Block of the Months, nothing like waiting til the end of the month to complete.  I have done 2 of the 4 I have been religiously keeping up with.  Need to readjust my BOM list again, realize there just isn't enough time yet for that kind of dedication.

This is for my Back To Nature Block 5, November.

And here's Section 11 of my Christmas Sampler Quilt:




I love how this is turning out, wish it would be ready by next week, but there's always next year!


4 comments:

  1. Oooh your Christmas sampler is so beautiful! I haven't seen that BOM anywhere before...lots of different blocks in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am enjoying your posts this week. I love the recipe and I'll try it for my holiday open house this year.
    I am so happy you are finding joy in your new surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Back to Nature Block 5 is an excellent block!!! Great colours. Sounds like a yummy recipe and I hope you have a lovely Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We will be having a total of nine in my very small home this year. Hubby is smoking the turkey - mmmmmmmm! Love your blocks! Your sampler quilt is looking wonderful.

    ReplyDelete