Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Visiting the Smokies. . .

So hubby and I took a leisurely afternoon Sunday drive down to the Great Smokey Mountain National Park....wishing we had packed a picnic and left earlier in the day, but we enjoyed the sites, sounds and smells of the forest.  The leaves haven't really changed a lot yet, but in a few weekends I'll go back and revisit and take more pictures.

Here's hubby and me - he has the longer arms:

We passed through the outer edge of the park and back through Galinburg and Pigeon Forge area to head home.  Man, talk about busy tourist area!
 

Another neat thing we saw was this quilt block on a building.  Here in Tennessee they have a trail of these throughout the entire state.  Close to 470 blocks.  It's called the Appalachian Quilt Trail.  This block is located in Townsend, Blount County.  This was pure luck to see along the side of the road, though I had planned to seek these blocks out as a traveling day with the kids - now I'm more excited to get started!

 It was a wonderful weekend!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like fun! I've always wanted to visit the Smoky Mountains. Now I have something new to put on my list: The Appalachian Quilt Trail!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like a relaxing and fun time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to live near there, and my heart still skips a beat when I see places I've visited. Yes, Pigeon Forge was terrible touristy when I lived nearby - about 12 years ago -- it must be much worse. How lovely that you got to see the mountains. In spring, the weather is usually mild and they are so misty, foggy, one can almost imagine dinosaurs hiding in the mistiness. Good that you got to see it. 8-))

    ReplyDelete