Thursday, June 26, 2008

Lots of rambling thoughts....

this post might ramble a bit....mind is wondering a wee bit too much and felt the need to share....you can skip through this post and look at all the cool pictures if you prefer :)

Well, I think I'm coming out of it. It's weird how my body/brain work. After long trips away from home I get post-trip depression. Like clock work it hits hard the full day after I arrive home and lingers about a week. I know this about myself and try to keep busy with things and learn something new about myself and depression every time. This time I noticed how difficult it was for me to focus on stuff. I start doing something and within 5 minutes I'm plopped down in front of my computer playing mindless computer games. I did also noticed how I was able to "snap" out of it more or less....I craved some solid attention from my hubby-got it last night and I woke up today all happy. I made coffee, did some laundry and have been working on 5 or so projects. Still having issues with staying focus, but definitely more productive and less on the computer doing mind numbing things. Depression sucks, but I have learned so much about my inner workings I can recongonize it and work to get out of it a lot quicker than in the past.

Again, I have tired to keep busy and with the lack of focus, I have ended up with adding yet another UFO to my list. So, where to start?

Let's go back to last week when Cheryl came over to sew and I had to pull out my hand dyes I got from my last quilt show and play with them. In the process ended up finding more fabric out of my stash and using a pattern. I'm excited and it is going together rather quickly (whew--so, I don't feel too bad or behind on other things). I cut it on Saturday and started sewing it together in between things today and here's 2 blocks. There will be 7 more colors for the chains:



This actually falls into my Strip Challenge for the Summer.  I'm using 2 1/2" strips to make this quilt along with all items from my stash :)

Then a lady was clearing out her storage rentals full of fabric....I mean FULL of fabric on bolts and in bins. Here's just one side:



She was trying to raise money to pay for her rentals...craziness! Anywho, Cheryl and I went shopping on Sunday at this lady's storage units --with $3/yard sale, who was I to say no?! So, after 26 yards later (that was a total of $78, I walked away confused, tickled and excited. I purchased the first 3 pictures in yardage, the oriental one I got 6 yards for a backing, the remainder 1 yard each:





Came home took pictures and put the fabric away. It was fun to see familar faces at the storage units from the guild and from blogland.

Monday, I took the youngest to her annual summer camp and worked the rest of the day. Then spent Tuesday all day at work setting up the machines and trying out the Q-Bot on the mega-quilter...very cool.

I finished up hand quilting my ALQS yesterday and almost done with the binding. It's going in the mail tomorrow...unfortunately I don't feel comfortable sharing a picture yet, because I followed my partners likes to the "T". Hopefully by Tuesday I can share it!

Then I received my Round Robin from Texas and whipped up a border around it. I plan to share it with my class tomorrow, where we are going to start our own round robin. I also received my RR Bloggers piece and know what I'm going to add to that. Being I can't show either of those round robins, here's my 12" block for my next round robin adventure:


Today, I have been sewing and sewing and sewing. I finished one set of blocks (finally) from my Orange Crush and almost done with the others--at least I have them fixed.



I also found out a friend's baby is going to be a boy and now need to crack down and get those quilts (I have another baby quilt for a girl to work on as well) done up by August time frame.

Well, I have a few hours before I have to go into work to help host the embroidery club, so I think I'll do some more sewing.

10 comments:

  1. Hope you feel brighter soon. Now I feel bad I didn't email and check where you were when I noticed you were so quiet!!!
    Lots of great pics!!! I can't wait to see the OC put together, it's groooovy :-)
    I was telling my DH today how much I missed buying fabric, but he just looked blank LOL
    So I will enjoy your purchases with you :-)

    Ahhh, thanks sweetie. I wasn't gone too long--I always have pictures to share. Just one of those funks I have to muddle through.

    I'm trying to get my OC together, it's a challenge especially after I messed up that one block. I haven't been happy with my green/blue choices as well--I think the star gets lost and should have done more contrasting colors.

    I miss buying fabric as well, but it was hard just ramdomly purchasing fabric without purpose or cause. I feel really guilty.

    Glad you enjoyed all the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant to say started.
    I forgot to mention -congratulations on such great fabric deals.

    Thank you!! It was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you atarted posting again. I wondered where you were at.
    You sound very busy.

    :) I sometimes like to hide, but it's never for too long...I always have pictures to share :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great purchases. Selling fabric that she paid good money for to pay for storing more fabric. Sounds crazy to me and did she save any money purchasing this fabric in the beginning.

    It's kinda sad and it's definitely a sickness. I hope you finds some peace in this process, but for now it benefited me wonderfully :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How clever you are to have noticed your "down days" following a trip! that's kinda a long shot but ...

    "Attention" from hubby - hey, who doesn't need that. Attention from ANYONE is a restorative gift.

    Not clever, lessons of hard knocks. I at one point in my life alienated all my friends, saw a therapist and learned more about my inner workings. Now that I am aware it aids in future "depression" episodes---supposedly :)

    I agree with the attention part!!! :) Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What great fabrics you bought.

    I love the background to your chain blocks.

    love and hugs xxx

    Thank you! It was fun!

    I love that fabric too. I got it as an end of bolt from work and had to use it some how :)

    Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. quiltingcindy6/28/2008 4:57 AM

    Looks like you did a great job of staying focused. I would have been overwhelmed shopping with such great prices.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was AMAZED with that rental with the lady's fabric stored. And selling off fabric to make money for her rentals. I would have thought I'd died and gone to heaven, good quality fabric for $3. a yard.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome site. Love your new stash!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! I was surfing and found your blog post... nice! I love your blog. :) Cheers! Sandra. R.

    ReplyDelete