Wednesday, September 26, 2007

I have to confess…..

I have only sewn about 1/2 of a dear jane block in the past 3 weeks. I'm so dumbfounded?! And I'm so slacking on pretty quilting pictures lately as well....well, unless you consider my Manic Monday offerings :D

So, I'm off today and actually doing quilting related things, but not sewing - yet. I've been planning out and redesigning my 11' x 22" area into a sewing studio. It's still early in the designing work, but as I'm clearing out items I won't do or need and also clearing out furniture, it's getting there.

I want a totally open area. Right now with all the furniture I have in this area it's over clutter and not very work conducive. It's split level room and being on the bottom level of the building tends to be dark. So, painting and new window treatments are in the works as well. I do plan to add some track lighting as well.

I'm going to use IKEA's catalog to aid in glass storage cabinets (so I can see my fabrics).

I'm figuring this will be a 6 months project, purchasing one item a month until I can get it all together. So, today I'm cleaning out another room to move other items out of my "sewing studio" area...it's funny how redoing one room affects other rooms in the house.

I will do before, during and after pictures of this process.....before pictures will start once I pick up all the "non-furniture" clutter.

Back to dejunking. Freecycle folks are going to love me.

(cross-post in my lj)

9 comments:

  1. I haven't done any Dear Jane blocks since July!! I sure need to get back to that or even my "10 year Dear Jane plan" will be out the window - LOL

    I know what you mean about one room affecting the whole house -- but it sure will be nice for you to have a nicely organized sewing room :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you have lots of great plans. I can't recommend Ikea cabinets enough. They are so perfect for fabric storage and so very reasonably priced. Did you see what they did for my sewing room? If not go to my blog and check out the pictures right at the end of July and at the beginning of August. I got the Billy cabinets with the glass doors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tidying up your space will get your creative juices flowing again. I find my mess sometimes stifles me into doing nothing. Also if I'm constantly looking for stuff it's no wonder I get stuff done so slowly :O)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What great ideas! I'd love to be able to to do something like you are planning :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reorganizing your room sounds like a good idea. Have you thought about using the Creaeting Your Perfect Quilting Space by Lois Hallock? I used it when I created my studio out of my son's bedroom. It's a great book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. jovaliquilts9/27/2007 11:32 AM

    Wow!! Sounds great! Did you ever get your quilting pirate fabric for the curtains? I ordered some of that and also some knitting pirate fabric they had (my daughter is a knitter). Have fun getting organized!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't feel bad about not doing any DJ blocks lately. I often went months without working on blocks and then the mood would change and I'd be stitching them like a mad woman. The blocks have their own timetable, IMHO for each of us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just remember, sometimes you have to make a mess to clean one up! In the end you will be so glad you reorginized.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm really looking forward to the re-do pictures - everyone loves to watch someone else get organized!
    BTW, you have been tagged - http://pieces-of-time.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete